Purchasing a Vehicle For Use Outside CA

Regarding purchasing a vehicle for use outside California

(out of state delivery)

We have many clients who purchase their vehicles from us that live outside California. There are however some special requirements to consider when making this type of purchase.  Below, please find some of the items/procedures that are required for an out of state delivery. 


There are two methods to consider for this type of delivery, both of which are described below:


Delivery at Fowler Auto Center you pay California sales tax.

One method, where you drive the vehicle back to your home state, requires that you pay California sales tax.  The method works well if your home state recognizes your tax payment and only requires that you pay any difference in your home state.  We do not provide information on how this works, as we cannot be responsible for you states tax payment. You can typically find the required information for your state's tax requirement on your state's DMV website.


If you are picking up the Car from dealership, you must pay CA Tax , and we will provide you a one -way trip sticker that allows you to go straight from dealership to out of state, which will alleviate paying for registration . But you must pay sales tax based on Ukiah, Ca . You must then also pay tax in your State.


Please note the special condition of the title for out of state deliveries described below.


Delivery outside California, you don't pay California sales tax.


In general, if you don't want to pay California sales tax, you must take delivery of your vehicle outside the state of California.  This requires that you ship the car outside the state via a delivery or transport service (you can not take delivery in California) and then have an official of your states DMV acknowledge that this delivery took place. 


Required Documents :

1-Statement of Delivery outside of California Form. You must have this form notarized.   We need a copy of this form. 


2-Copy of the Bill of Lading from Transport Company.  If you will be arranging the delivery of your vehicle outside the state of California, we will need a copy of the bill of lading showing the pickup location (generally Fowler Auto Center) and delivery city. 


Please note the special condition of the title for out of state deliveries described below.


Regarding the title.


You will generally need your title to register your vehicle in your state.   We cannot provide the title to you until we have received payment for the vehicle.

Foreign Business Professionals


We have the pleasure of working with many foreign business professionals at Fowler Auto Center. 


Below please find a list of the items we will need to process your application;


Credit application

Copy of Social Security Card

Copy of Passport

Copy of your Visa

Copy of your Employment Authorization Card

Copy of your I-797 Petition from your employer

Copy of your I-94

Signed employment authorization form provided by us (for Vehicle Financing Credit)

Your job offer letter

A copy of your most recent pay stub

Proof of your residency, (copy of phone or utility bill).

The information provided above is intended for informational purposes only and it is not intended to be exhaustive or advice as to California or any other state's laws pertaining to sales tax or registration.  We are providing this information as a courtesy to you so you may consider them when purchasing a vehicle for out of state delivery OR purchasing vehicles as a foreign business professional.